The Apple Of Discord
The wedding of Peleus and the sea-goddess Thetis were held and all gods were invited. But her absence of one goddess was clearly noticeable. It was Eris, the goddess of discord. As she planted seeds of discord wherever she went, it was natural that her presence at the ceremony was not desirable. She had good reason to feel angry. So she decided to make fun of the group at the party. Eris slipped into the hall after the couple left and rolled on the floor a golden apple , having the words, “For the fairest”. It caused a violent quarrel among the three goddesses, Hera , Athena and Aphrodite. Zeus found it advisable to send them before a shepherd boy on Mt Ida, Paris by name , for judgment. Hermes, the messenger, took the apple in his hand and led the goddess away.
Paris was son of Priam, king of Troy. As his mother dreamed at his birth that she was bearing a piece of burning wood, the babe was regarded as representing the destruction of the city itself. To save the kingdom from possible disaster , the parents had the helpless infant left on top of Mt Ida to die. However, he survived his ill fate. Brought up by the herdsmen, he became a strong, handsome lad. He was secretly united with Oenone, a fair and faithful mountain fairy maiden. On this particular day, as he was taking care of his sheep on the mountain side, the youth was surprised to see four human beings standing before him. Hermes told him about his mission and left. The three holy beauties then competed with each other, showing themselves up before the shepherd. Hera promised to make him king of Asia. Athena undertook to help him get imperishable fame in war; whereas Aphrodite offered to secure for him the love of the most beautiful woman in the world. The primitive instinct of the boy thus moved, Aphrodite won the prize , and the other two goddesses left in anger and became deadly enemies of Troy.
Ⅰ. Fill in the blanks with proper words in the passage :
1. But the absence________ one goddess was clearly noticeable.
2. It was natural that Eris, the goddess of discord, her presence________ the ceremony was not desirable.
3. He decided to make fun________ the group at the party.
4. Eris slipped________ the hall after the new couple left.
5. As his mother dreamed ________ his birth that she was bearing a piece of burning wood, the babe was regarded representing ________ the destruction of the city itself.
Ⅱ. Questions :
1. Who rolled the golden apple on the floor?
2. Who were the three goddesses to compete to win the apple ?
3. Who at last won the title of“ the fairest”and what was the disaster?
Ⅰ. 1. of 2. at 3. of 4. into 5 . at / as
Ⅱ. 1. Eris rolled the golden apple on the floor. 2. The three goddesses were Hera, Athena , Aphrodite. 3. Aphrodite at last won the title of“ the fairest”, but it made the other two goddesses become the deadly enemies of Troy.